Much has been said on the visit of members of the European Parliament to Jammu and Kashmir. We have earlier busted the misleading, scaremongering narratives on their visit mainly pushed by the opposition. Now the tour ended and the EU members have addressed the press conference as well. So, one can look at what all they said and whether any of the fears expressed by the opposition, mainly of ‘internationalisation’ of J&K, came true?
Fear of Internationalisation
Even though the Congress-led government itself had permitted EU delegations back in 2009 and 2011 to visit the valley, now the party is arguing that EU members visit will internationalise the issue of J&K and it will no longer remain India’s internal matter.
In no uncertain terms, the EU members have said in the press conference that Article 370 is strictly India’s internal matter.
Exposed the Name-calling
The EU members did expose the reckless name-calling nature of some Indian politicians.
Govt sending Nazi supporters to Kashmir – Asaduddin Owaisi, Indian MP
The EU members expressed their anguish over such comments and said, “We are not Nazi lovers. If we were, we would have not been elected. We are very angry at being called Nazi lovers.”
Has the Indian Government Achieved Its Objective?
- Their visit to Jammu and Kashmir should give the delegation a better understanding of the cultural and religious diversity of the region of Jammu, Kashmir, and Ladakh.
- Should give them a clear view of the development and governance priorities of the region
These below tweets reported by the news agency ANI indicates that these goals have been fulfilled.
H Malosse, European Economic&Social Committee: All people we met have will to try&improve. Message we got is that there's hope but we've to revive situation to support better health condition, communication, new projects of infrastructure, new possibilities for education. (2/2)
— ANI (@ANI) October 30, 2019
Apart from these, EU MPs have told many things in the Press conference which are helpful to further strengthened the Indian narrative of Jammu and Kashmir on the global stage. Here are the major points they spoke.
- They stand by India in its fight against global terrorism.
- Article 370 is India’s internal matter, but terrorism in the valley is the thing of concern. The recent instance of terrorists killing the migrant labourers is condemnable.
- The coverage of J&K in international media was biased and after seeing the ground zero themselves, they would go and tell the world the progress India has achieved in the valley.
- They interacted with members of the public, including the newly elected panchayat members and councilors
So, in the end, the EU delegation is leaving the country with an opinion that largely says that India is doing its best for the development of J&K. One may only wonder why the opposition is still whining on this issue.