Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressing the nation on Independence Day has no longer remained an occasion of speaking customary words. Since 2014, in each Independence Day, PM Modi spoke on specific things and delivered those promises in a timebound manner. That sets the expectation for his Independence Day Speech each time.
Let’s see with the specific examples. What he promised and how he delivered.
15th August 2014
Promise: Jan Dhan accounts for all
PM Modi: “I wish to connect the poorest citizens of the country with the facility of bank accounts through ‘Pradhanmantri Jan-Dhan Yojana’.
- 36.55 crore beneficiaries banked so far
- Proving the naysayers wrong, poor of this country have deposited more than 1 lakh crore rupees so far. Read our article Jan Dhan Deposits Cross Rs 1 Lakh Crore – Did the Poor Prove Modi Right?
Promise: All schools to have separate toilets for girls
PM Modi: “I, therefore, have to launch a ‘clean India’ campaign from 2nd October this year and carry it forward in 4 years. I want to make a beginning today itself and that is – all schools in the country should have toilets with separate toilets for girls.”
Under Swachh Vidyalaya initiative 4.17 lakh toilets in 2.61 lakh Government elementary and secondary schools were constructed/re-constructed in just one-year upto 15th August, 2015.
15th August 2015
Promise – Sustained campaign against corruption
PM Modi: “I want to reaffirm that this nation will get rid of corruption. We can rid the country of corruption; we have to start from the top.”
- Massive crack down on more than 3 lakh shell companies
- September 2019 onwards, Swiss authorities will give all the details about the Indian deposits
- Vijay Mallya and Nirav Modi are expected to be handed over to India and their properties are sized within India and abroad, laws like fugitive economic offenders act and linking Aadhaar to public welfare schemes have been cleaning up the mess.
Promise: Electrify every village in 1,000 days
PM Modi: “I, therefore, announce the pledge of the ‘Team India’ of our 1.25 billion countrymen, from the Red Fort, that electricity would be made available to 18,500 villages within the next 1000 days, with the help of states and local bodies.
- 18,452 villages electrified 12 days before target date (completed on 29thApril, 2018).
- Moving forward, under Saubhagya scheme every willing household is getting electricity. As on August 14, 2019, only 18, 734 households are left for electrification which is only 0.07% task to be finished
15th August 2016
Promise – Health Insurance for the poor
PM Modi: “The Government will bear the treatment expenses of a poor family up to one lakh rupees. “
- Ayushman Bharat launched to provide comprehensive Health Coverage to 10 crore poor and vulnerable families (approx. 50 crore beneficiaries) upto Rs. 5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary hospitalization.
- So far, more than 34 lakh (34,79,966) beneficiaries have availed treatment
Promise – Smoke-free lives for the poor
PM Modi: “We have launched a dynamic mission under “Ujjwala” scheme to get rid of smokes emanating from chulha for my poor mothers. A target has been laid down to provide gas connections to 5 crores poor families within 3 years.”
- Covering 715 districts, 7.76 Crore families now have been benefitted as on August 13, 2019.
15th August 2017
Promise – Life of Dignity for Muslim women
PM Modi: “I heartily commend those sisters who have launched this movement, who have been fighting against the ‘Triple Talaq’ and I’m confident that the country will help them in this struggle. The country will help these mothers and sisters in securing this right.
- The first session of 17th Lok Sabha has passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019.
- It is illegal for any Muslim man to divorce his wife merely by saying Talaq, Talaq, Talaq in one sitting.
- Previous attempts to pass this bill were thwarted by Congress
Promise – Pucca Ghar with assured electricity connection
PM Modi: “We shall build together an India, where the poor will have concrete houses with water and electricity connection.”
- More than 1.50 crore houses built in the first term of the government.
- During 2019-20 to 2021-22, 1.95 crore houses are proposed to be provided to eligible beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin.
- Only 18, 734 (0.07%) households left for electrification
15th August 2018
PM Modi: We want to increase the resources of rural area, with the creation of women self-help groups, mobilizing billions of rupees. We want to enhance the efficiency of villages and we are making efforts in this direction.
- PM Kisan scheme that gives Rs 6000 income support to farmers annually will benefit 12 crore farmers
- Expansion of women Self Help Groups’ interest subvention programme to all districts
- Rs 1 lakh loan under MUDRA scheme for one woman in every SHG
- Every woman SHG member having a verified Jan Dhan account will get an overdraft facility of Rs 5,000
- 100 new clusters for traditional industries to be set up to help 50,000 artisans to announced in the budget 2019-20.
- 10,000 new farmer producer organisations to empower farmers and increase their income.
As we see from the above instances of PM Modi’s specific promises each year and subsequent delivery on them, a culture of commitment, expectation and fulfilment has been set.
This means that, every Independence Day, people look forward to what new target he is setting for himself and for the nation. Similar expectations are set for 15th August 2019 as well.