The most basic unit of social life is the family. If one has to objectively analyse the impact of a social endeavour by the state, it should be seen in the light of how that (policy) has helped a family as a whole. Haryana is going to the polls on 21st October 2019. We try to throw light on what Khattar government has done for the welfare of the families in Haryana. Also, we will evaluate the impact of central government schemes on the families of people living in Haryana.
Haryana is predominantly an agricultural state. Around 70% of its residents in Haryana are employed in agriculture. It means that farmers form the major chunk of the demographic profile of Haryana. Any policy intervention by the state should keep farmers at the centre-stage. Keeping that in mind, Khattar government had launched a scheme for the families of farmers in Haryana.
The scheme is called Mukhyamantri Parivar Samman Nidhi which targets the families of farmers and the families of workers employed in the unorganised sector in Haryana.
Focus on the family
The scheme provides financial and social security cover to the families of both farmers and workers, employed in the unorganised sector. Small and marginal farmers and small wage earners are going to benefit the most from the scheme.
Fixed financial benefit for the family
- Each beneficiary family is eligible for financial assistance of Rs.6,000 every year.
- The scheme includes insurance of Rs. 2 Lakh on natural death, insurance of Rs. 2 Lakh for accidental death, insurance of Rs. 2 Lakh for permanent disability and insurance of Rs. 1 lakh for partial disability.
A central government’s scheme is successful only if the state’s machinery is efficient and implementation is smooth. Below we cite the figures of central government schemes for the state of Haryana.
- Ujjwala – Aims to safeguard the health of women & children (BPL) by providing them with a clean cooking fuel – LPG
- LPG connections in Haryana – 7.3 lakh
- Saubhagya – Free electricity connections to all households (both APL and poor families) in rural areas and poor families in urban areas will be provided.
- Households electrified: 54,680
- Jan Dhan Yojana –To bring about comprehensive financial inclusion and provide banking services to all households in the country
- PMJDY Accounts opened: 73.24 lakh
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana –To provide a roof over every Indian head in the country
- Houses sanctioned in Haryana – 2.84 lakh
- Houses constructed in Haryana – 29,000
- Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana –To create an inclusive, sustainable and value-based entrepreneurial culture in the country
- Beneficiaries in Haryana – 33 Lakh
- Swachh Bharat Mission – To make India clean and open defecation free and ensuring a working toilet for every household in the country
- Number of toilets constructed in Haryana – 7.4 Lakh
- Ayushman Bharat – Aims to provide healthcare services to over 10 crore families that belong to the urban and rural poor
- Number of eligible beneficiaries in Haryana – 15.5 lakh