PM Narendra Modi in his address to the nation after the abrogation of Article 370 has spelt out the roadmap ahead for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. The PM’s speech majorly dealt with the explanation of how the common people are benefitting by this move. While assuring the people of Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh about their wellbeing and development, he also sought the cooperation of people of whole country to ensure the region moves in a new development path. He said that the dream of Sardar Patel, Dr. Ambedkar, Dr Syama Prasad Mukherjee and Atal Bihari Vajpayee have fulfilled after the government’s move to revoke Article 370.
Here are the key takeaways from PM Modi’s address.
Damages from the Article 370
Article 370 and Article 35A had only given terrorism, separatism, nepotism and massive corruption. These articles have been used as a weapon by Pakistan, costing us the lives of about 42,000 people.
What Did People Miss and What they Get Now?
- It had not given people who came from Pakistan as refugee the voting rights in assembly and local elections. These are the people who came as refugees from Pakistan after partition.
- For the benefits of Safai Karmacharis in all the states of India, Safai Karmachari Act is in force. But this was not the case with Jammu and Kashmir.
- In all the states of India, stringent laws have been enacted to check exploitation of Dalits. But this was not so in Jammu and Kashmir.
- As a nation and a family, we have taken a historic decision. A system which deprived the brothers and sisters of Jammu-Kashmir and Ladakh of their rights has now been corrected, the PM said.
- For the protection of minorities, there are minority rights related laws in all the states of India except Jammu and Kashmir.
- There is a Minimum Wages Act for the protection of rights of labourers in all the states of India but they got this protection only on paper in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Under the new arrangement, central government will ensure that public employees of Jammu and Kashmir including the police have same benefits like LTC, HRA, education and health as given to their counterparts in other union territories.
- Soon, the process to fill the vacancies pending with central and state government in Jammu and Kashmir will commence. Central public sector enterprises and private sector companies will be encouraged to create new employment opportunities.
All these anomalies will end now and people will get their due.
Promise of Administration – Panchayat Track Record
- Just like Panchayat elections which were conducted after a long time peacefully and with transparency, assembly elections will also take place soon in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Panchayat representatives are doing a good job. Elected Panchayat members have made villages progressive in many aspects such as providing electricity and making the villages ODF. Especially, women representatives have done a lot.
- Decades of dynastic politics cheated the J&K youth from becoming the leaders that they can be, in various domains. Now it is the time to do so.
- As Union territory, Ladakh is solely the responsibility of the Centre. Opportunities for Ladakh development in terms of spiritual tourism, solar power generation center etc will be explored.
- Kesar, Kashmiri Shawl, herbal plants of Ladakh will be marketed globally.
New sports stadiums, scientific training for talents will be developed.
Call for Cooperation
PM Modi said that both people who supported the move and disagreed should now come together to build J&K and Ladakh in this new reality.
- Let’s make Jammu Kashmir once again a global tourist destination which once was a favorite shooting spot for Bollywood.
- People from Hindi, Telugu and Tamil film industry need to think about establishing their infrastructure and shooting often in J&K.
- Technology people should think about starting BPO and common service centers here as the youth are good with English communication.
- Food processing and other industries need to draw plans to open their shops here, providing employments to people.
Gratitude to Security Forces
- Security forces have played an important role in keeping the region secure.
- People from J&K themselves are fighting against Pakistani designs. We are proud of them. Many have sacrificed for the crown of India. A Maulvi informed the army about 1947 invasion from Pakistan, Rukhsana Kausar who fought against terrorist awarded Keerti Chakra.
Thus, PM Modi through his speech has effectively reassured the development of Jammu and Kashmir with a specific roadmap.