From time to time we have been providing figures that speak about the declining trend of terrorism in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. As reported in the media, the Army has shared some figures on terrorism in J&K in 2020. It is evident that 2020 has proved to be a bad year for the terrorists, as our security forces foiled many terror bids and succeeded in hunting down the terrorists, even forcing them to surrender.
- The security forces killed 221 terrorists in 2020 as compared to 152 terrorists eliminated in 2019.
- 47 terrorists were apprehended during 2020 against 43 caught during the previous year.
- Terrorists active in the Kashmir valley estimated at 274 in 2020, as compared to 421 terrorists operating during 2019.
- The incidents of ceasefire violation rose from 3,824 during 2019 to 5,246 in 2020.
- Only 32 terrorists could infiltrate across the Line of Control in 2020 as against 141 infiltration success in 2019.
- Terrorists launch pads in Pakistan in 2019 were estimated at 520-556. It got reduced to 294-336 during 2020.
Over 600 terrorists surrender last year; More than 200 neutralised in J&K: Army Chief Gen Naravanehttps://t.co/EYPsH4HfRb
— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) January 15, 2021
Back in December 31, 2020 the J&K Police also put out some numbers. Since the Police force also plays a major role in the Union Territory in cracking down on terrorists, it is important to take note of their statement.
Director General of Police Dilbag Singh had said “We undertook over 100 successful operations in J&K. Ninety operations took place in Kashmir and 13 in Jammu. As many as 225 terrorists were killed — 207 in Kashmir and 18 in Jammu division.”
However, what the security forces admit is the fact that there is no let down in the recruitment of people in the valley for terror activities.