As the Union Minister Piyush Goyal quoted the number of houses constructed in budget speech and claimed that the Modi Government has built 1.53 crore houses, some fact checking sites and individuals argued that this figure is false. Our previous article, which had countered the same, repeated, false claims of those fact checkers with regard to housing.
Now, with the budget the “fact checkers” are arguing similar things.
The Facts Are Here
- Put together the rural and urban components of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Modi Government indeed has built 1.53 crore houses.
- The document available in the public domain as on December 13, 2018 shows that under PMAY-G between 2014 and 2018 December has built 1.35 crore (1,35,44,586) houses.
- The year ender review from Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation says about 36 lakh houses were grounded & more than 12 lakh houses were completed.
- These figures put together almost reach the figure that was quoted in the budget. Since further data was added after December 2018, shows the figure of 1.53 crore houses is not off the mark.
- It should be noted that Modi Government also completed more than 36 lakh (36,39,368) houses that remained incomplete under Indira Awaas Yojana.
Read our previous article Is Prime Minister Wrong on Rural Housing Numbers? Here Are the Facts for more details.