The blueprint of the next five years has been well laid out in the President’s address to the first session of both the houses. You can read about our earlier post to know the key takeaways in the President’s speech. In his speech, President Ram Nath Kovind also gave some numbers, which tell the story of both the track record of PM Modi’s previous government and the vision it is offering for the future in its second term. Here are some big numbers in his speech which we have categorized under different sectors.
How the government cares for further bringing the ease and prosperity in the lives of rural India can be ascertained by the numbers mentioned in the speech of the President.
- Within 3 months of launch PM KISAN Rs 12,000 crore have been transferred to the beneficiaries account. An estimated expenditure of 90,000 crore is likely to be incurred annually on this scheme since every farmer has now been brought in its ambit.
- In order to enhance agriculture productivity, an investment of Rs 25 lakh crore will be made in the coming years.
- Under the initiative of Aspirational Districts which has made a dynamic progress covering 112 districts, the villages covered stand at 1.15 lakh.
- Under PMAY(G), 2 crore houses will be built in rural areas in the next 3 years.
- Rs 2 lakh crore loan given to 3 crore rural women under National Aajeevika Mission
- Under Ayushman Bharat 26 lakh poor patients have availed treatment in hospitals.
- 5 lakh health wellness centres to be built in rural areas by 2022. Till now 18,000 such centres built.
Vision for Economy & Growth
- It is our objective to make India a 5-trillion-dollar economy by 2024
- In ‘Ease of Doing Business’, India has leap-frogged 65 positions during the past 5 years, from a ranking of 142 in 2014 to 77. Now our goal is to be among the top 50 countries of the world
- Under the ‘Bharatmala Project’, construction or upgradation of about 35,000 kilometres of National Highways is to be undertaken by 2022, besides focusing on Sagarmala, improving public transport and rapid pace in building i-ways and gas grids.
- 50,000 start-ups in the country by 2024
- Under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojna’, about 19 crore loans have been disbursed for self-employment. An effort will now be made to cover 30 crore people by expanding this scheme.
- In last 5 years there has been an increase of 25% in scholarships for the youth. The Government is trying to increase the number of seats in the higher education by one-and-a-half times by 2024. With this initiative, 2 crore additional seats would be available for the youth in higher education institutions.
- Credit guarantee coverage for MSME entrepreneur is being enhanced to Rs 1 lakh crore
Fighting Corruption & Bringing Transparency
- During the last two years, 4,25,000 Company Directors have been disqualified and the registration of 3,50,000 suspicious companies has been revoked
- After Fugitive and economic offenders act put in place, 146 nations including Switzerland have given information about offenders
- With the help of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, banks and other financial institutions have been able to settle directly or indirectly an amount of more than Rs 3,50,000 crore
- Direct Benefit Transfer (DPT) which covers more than 400 schemes has not only prevented 1,41,000 crore from falling into wrong hands, but it has also enabled deletion of names of about 8 crore ineligible beneficiaries
- Prior to 2014, 67 crore litres of ethanol were being blended. This year, the target set for ethanol blending is 270 crore litres.
- In last 5 years the number of protected areas expanded from 692 to 868.