Maharashtra has been blessed with vivid geography from seacoast to mountains to plains. The state is famous various types of tourism like urban tourism, religious tourism, historical tourism and eco-tourism. Moreover, it has a glorious past of the Maratha empire and fight for independence from the British. We analyze the promises delivered for preserving this cultural heritage of Maharashtra.
Promise– A Grand memorial of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in the Arabian Sea will be built.
The project was envisaged in 2001. But nothing happened till 2014. The process has already started. More than Rs 3600 crores have been allotted. Currently, a stay by Supreme Court is there till it decides on the environmental petitions.
Promise– Completion of the grand national memorial of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar at Indu Mill Compound will be done within 5 years.
The proposed land has been acquired. The contract has been given to Shapoorji Pallonji. The work is expected to be completed by April 2020.
Promise– Emphasis will be given to developing quality tools such as fonts, keyboards, dictionaries, spell-check in Marathi for smart phones and computers by encouraging local and global IT companies and cooperating with them and providing incentives in this initiative through the “Digital Marathi Protsahan Yojana”.
Promise– Grand Memorials ‘Prerana Kendras’ will be built of the leaders who inspire Maharashtra:
We will rename the memorial of Lokmanya Tilak at Girgaon Chowpatty, Mumbai as Swarajya Bhoomi
A grand statue of Lokmanya Tilak will be installed at Maharashtra Sadan, New Delhi.
Grand memorials of Rajmata Jijabai (Sindakhed Raja, Dhule), Savitribai Phule (Naigaon, Satara) Punyashlok Ahilyabai Holkar (Chaundi, Ahmednagar) and Mahatma Basaweshwar will be constructed.
Memorials of Kranti Veer Lahuji Vastad and Umaji Naik will also be built.
- Girgaon Chowpati has been renamed Swarajya Bhoomi given the fact that Lokmanya Tilak was cremated there in 1920.
- An approval has been given for setting up a statue of Lokmanya Tilak at Maharashtra Sadan, New Delhi.
- Maharashtra has also proposed building a memorial for Ahilyabai Holkar at Maheshwar in Madhya Pradesh.
- A Basaveshwara memorial is proposed in Solapur district.
- Memorial of Lahuji Vastad is ongoing in Sangamwadi in Pune. It will be completed in the coming months.
- The work on the Umaji Naik memorial is also on.
Promise– To encourage new literature creation in Marathi, the existing Nav Lekhak Protsahan Yojana will be revamped and revitalized.
The scheme hasn’t been revitalized but has been continued by the Maharashtra Rajya Sahitya va Sanskruti Mahamandal.
Promise– Monthly pension of Rs. 1500 will be given to accredited journalists after the age of 65 years.
A scheme called Acharya Balshastri Jambhekar Sanman Yojana was launched which promises pension for journalists above 60 years of age. A budgetary allocation of Rs 15 crores has been done in that regard.
Promise– A new initiative Maharashtra Wachan Sanskruti Vikas will be launched to promote the culture of reading in Maharashtra. Through this initiative, public libraries will be provided with handsome books and financial grants, a practice which has been discontinued for several years.
No such scheme has been launched.
Promise– Maharashtra is blessed with several sites with pre-historic legacy. Research projects on these sites will be encouraged and attempts will be made to develop these sites as attractive global tourist destinations.
Raigad Development Authority has been formed to redevelop Raigad fort. Moreover, private players are being roped in to develop some forts for tourism. A controversy was created on whether we should monetize forts which have a historical legacy. CM Devendra Fadnavis clarified that the legacy of Chhatrapati Shivaji won’t be harmed in the process.
Moreover, money has been invested in developing important tourist destinations.
- Shirdi airport was made operational to boost religious tourism at Sai Baba temple at Shirdi
- Tourist facilities are being developed at places like Mahur, Lonar lake, Verul, Elephanta caves, Nira Narsingpur, etc.
- Under the PRASAD scheme of the central government to develop pilgrimage sites, Trimbakeshwar has been selected.
- Konkan has a special place in the field of cultural heritage and tourism. Places like Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg fort, Ganpatipule temple, etc are being developed as tourist spots.